Southern Highlands: Special place in my heart

Southern Highlands is a mystical place full of beauty and rich in resources. Southern Highlands to me as it was in the past includes the recently established Hela Province. 

This is my story on how people from Southern Highlands and Hela (Both South's to me) have a special place in my heart and my life. 

My connections or that of my family dates back to 1960s when my grandfather (my mum's father) and his family lived in Mendi government station. The stories from my mum who was pretty young about 4-5 years old are sketchy at best but they were wonderful stories. She spoke of waking up in the morning and having to wash in crystal clear waters from a near by river in very cold temperatures. Mum learnt the language (Ialibu) and said she use to speak abit of it too.

My South's connections and that of my family

While growing up in the sweet sugar town Gusap (Ramu), I remember one of our first "Haus Boi" was from Tari his name was Wanu. Mum and dad didn't trust anyone else unless he or she was from Southern Highlands. Wanu was a fine man and thought us a bit of common Tari phrases like Igiri (man/boy) and Wandari (Woman/girl) and others of which I can't remember now. When Wanu left his younger brother Apo was given the job by mum and dad. And through them we met Peter Hiwi who still works in Ramu today.

My association with my South's people came later in life but my younger brother Glenn came much earlier. Glenn had a friend more like a body guard from SHP and his name was Helo. Helo was a friendly boy and a hard working one too. He was so close to our family and like Wanu and Apo earlier, they all called my parents "Mummy & Daddy". While attending UPNG my elder sister Velda had a room mate from SHP who became very close to her too. (Not forgetting Velda's husband Carl who played for the SH rugby league team at UPNG).

UPNG CIVPAC South's Rugby League Club

My South's connection came at UPNG when Carl introduced me to the South's rugby league team called the CIVPAC South's Power. The tall skinny guy from Morobe and Gulf running the team's Fullback role and one of only two players not from SHP. The other Nakikus Tion from Duke of York Island in East New Britain. We won one grandfinal and lost one in my four years playing with South's. I remember a knock out game where I made a line break and strode down the sideline where the Western Highlanders supporters were cheering. I misjudged my sidestep and stepped into the opposition's fullback and he hit me well and we both flew out the sideline into the crowd. Instantly all the supporters started kicking dirt and dust into my face saying things like "wonem hap blo yu lo South's" (Which part of you is from Souths) and "ol South's givim yu meri na yu play wantaim ol ah" (Did South's give you a girlfriend that's why you playing for them). That was one scary moment in my rugby league days at UPNG. On on a lighter note, Yes the South's wanted to give me a girl well to be honest I had a lot of South's female admirers. I became very close to most of these guys and every now and then I bump into one and its like bumping into family. 

I was also privileged to work under Minister James Marape during his reign as the Education Minister. And I remember well Minister Marape told me a few times how he loved reading the speeches I wrote for him. He use to call everyone by name but called me Mr Thom. That to me was respect for a fellow South's. 

South's Ame Basketball Club

When I worked up in Kiunga, I played basketball in my second year there with the South's Ame team. After losing the grand final the year before with Gaziro I decided to join South's who were the most hated team in the Kiunga Basketball competition. The reasons were plenty but the main focus was my South's connections, showing Kiunga that basketball is all about family and friendship and the last was to change the mindelset of my South's team. It was amazing the first year we missed the finals by a single point, we won 10 of 18 games and three of our players made the Kiunga District team. From a hated team to one everyone loved to watch, because I changed the mindset to a simple one. And that was "We are not playing for a million kina its all for fun in the end we get a trophy worth just K200 and that's it. So lets have fun, win or lose let's show them we can change and if we can every team can". The following year we lost in the semifinals. Boom!

SHP & Hela Earthquake broke my heart

On February 26th a 7.5 magnitude earthquake struck the Highlands of PNG. It took a couple of days before the first pictures and stories of the massive devastation the quake left in the heart of our people. I was broken when I thought of all my South's friends who had family in those areas and it was something that meant a lot for me personally. All my friends names and faces flooded through my mind and I was lost in thought. Then when I was called to assist load relief and medical supplies for SHP and Hela I was overwhelmed and knew I was called for a reason. Three days of loading boxes, no food not water just pure mind power knowing my brothers and sisters are going through tougher times as I was loading plane with the team. Later Lae City did an appeal and I was basically there everyday just for a few minutes but I felt the people needed my time and support. 

Always have a place in my heart

People may say this and that, I may disagree but the fact of the matter is Southern Highlands & Hela are very close to my heart. You are special people and my family will support me in this. We love people in general, Highlanders, Coastal or Islands but for me my Amesis will always have a very special place in my heart.

In this very sad and tough times in SHP and Hela (including other provinces), I have you in my thoughts and silent prayers. You are resilient people and I believe you will come out of this much stronger. Stand together and support each other, you can make it happen I know that because I have witnessed it first hand. GOD BLESS MY SOUTHS PEOPLE AND GIVE YOU PEACE AND COMFORT.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A true Knight of PNG

Assault of Media Personnel must STOP

WAU: Bad roads, great people, awesome WWII Commemorations