VALE Grand Chief Sir Michael Thomas Somare



Friday February 26, 2021

Friday February 26, 2021 will forever be remembered in Papua New Guinea's history as the country woke up to the sad news of the passing of the 'Father of a Nation', Grand Chief Right Honorable Sir Michael Thomas Somare.

As we all were coming to grips with a huge hole in PNG's short history, many of us contemplated of what PNG would become now that the man that led us to where we are, has died at the age of 84 in Port Moresby from pancreatic cancer.

A Nation was now in mourning as word reached the most remote parts of a country built on 800 plus languages scatted on terrain which was at most times impossible to access. But Sir Michael did conquer all that was impossible and pushed hard from the Australian's to gain independence for PNG on September 16, 1975.

Many people will write and share how Sir Michael lived his life and the great man he was in his village, district, province, PNG, Pacific and the rest of the world. He was an icon in his 5 decades of politics (yes 50 years plus). 

As I watched and read on social media and world news networks reporting on Sir Michael's passing, I, like many Papua New Guineans, shed tears. My heart broke, I felt lost. I sympathized for Lady Veronica Somare and the family. Words could not really express how myself and the rest of PNG felt.

The Grand of Grand Chiefs

Sir Michael was a great man, but yet very humble in every essence of the word. He showed respect and earned respect. In PNG's first Vote of No Confidence in 1980, he was overthrown by Sir Julius Chan (another of PNG's great leaders and founding fathers). Many people called for Sir Michael to do something but he told everyone to accept the less than a decade old Constitution, and accept Sir Julius as Prime Minister. Sir Michael became opposition leader.

That is one thing I always respected Sir Michael for. He always stood for the Constitution. He was challenged so many times in his time as Prime Minister and a member of parliament. But when the challenge came, he respected the constitution and allowed the law to do its job.

Many of our young Politicians today, should really read and follow Sir Michael's leadership and management masterclass. 

My Story with Sir Michael

In 2010, while I was working with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in Port Moresby under Liam Fox, I was asked to 'Leave the Conference Room' by Sir Michael when he was then Prime Minister. He just got back from a medical trip to Singapore and I was just being a journalist.

The press conference was about something (I can't recall), but when it was question time, I was ready to ask a few questions relating to the press conference and also other questions. When I asked my question (I won't share what I actually asked), Sir Michael put a hand to his glasses, adjusted it to have a good look at me and said;

'ABC, I won't answer that'. 

After a few of the reporters asked their questions, an eager me raised my hands and when chosen, I rephrased the question I asked earlier. Sir Michael again told me he would not answer the question but I said;

'Sir I insist you at least make a comment'. 

Sir Michael calmly looked at me and said;

'I will ask security to remove you if you persist with this'.

And persist I did and Sir Michael asked his security team to assist me 'Leave the Conference Room'. The very next day there was another press conference by Sir Michael and I attended. While making my way there, I remembered ABC Correspondent, the great man Sean Dorney being thrown out of the country in the 1980's and I felt I overstepped the day before and questioned myself, if Sir Michael would welcome me back. 

When I entered the PM's conference room the rest of the media looked at me including Sir Michael. He smiled at me and said 'Young man from ABC, it's good to see you back. Let's stick to the script this time'. 

A big sigh of relief dawned on me and I replied, 'Thank you Sir, I'll gladly stick to the script today'. 

We shook hands afterwards and I was more open minded about the way he governed a country. He was so humble and I too felt I had to be that humble.

My Last Meeting with Grand Chief Sir Michael.

Days out from PNG's 45th Independence last year (2020), Sir Michael was in Zifasing in the Huon District of Morobe. Prime Minister James Marape and a handful of Ministers were also present. After the formalities and launching of the Zifasing Academy, gifts were given to Sir Michael. When all was done, I approached him in his chair to say hello to the great man.

He had given a speech earlier wishing PNG 45 years of freedom, so I used that opportunity to ask him one question.

'What would be your Independence message to your people?'

Sir Michael smiled and said;

'I am proud that PNG has its own Doctors, Pilots, Engineers, Professors, Teachers, Journalists and Sporting Exports. They said we couldn't do it, but in a few days we will celebrate our 45th Independence Day. We have grown from 800 plus different tribes to being ONE aspiring Nation. I encourage my people to continue to be the best in PNG and in the World'.


I was nearly in tears, as I realized than that, this man the Grand Chief who is sitting right before me is the reason I am educated, working and free today. 

I was humbled again by Sir Michael, I held his hand and said, 'On behalf of my family, I want to thank you Sir Michael for everything you have done'.

(I tweeted a shortened version of what he said on the day he passed.)

The 2020 Independence Day, despite the lack of celebrations around the country due to Covid-19, I proudly dressed in my PNG colors and flew the flag with so much pride.


What a great man, and what a great country he has built. Despite our political differences, our different languages, race, education, custom and cultures, Sir Michael united us. He gave his life to see that unity be upheld during his time and into the future of PNG and our people.

Thank you Grand Chief Sir Michael Thomas Somare. 

VALE and REST IN ETERNAL PEACE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GREAT MEDIA COVERAGE ON SIR MICHAEL'S LAST EVENTS

A true Knight of PNG

WAU: Bad roads, great people, awesome WWII Commemorations